''Undoubtedly, one of the worst abominations perpetrated by the Wahhabis under the leadership of Ibn `Abd al-Wahhab was the massacre of the people of Ta'if. They killed everyone in sight, slaughtering both child and adult, the ruler, the lowly and well-born. They began with a suckling child nursing at his mother's breast and moved on to a group studying Qur'an, slaying them, down to the last man. And when they wiped out the people in the houses, in the streets, the shops and the mosques, killing whoever happened to be there. They killed even men bowed in prayer until they had annihilated every Muslim who dwelt in Ta'if.''

Thursday, August 18, 2011

TO PRAISE AND ASK HELP OF THE PROPHET


9 - On pages 179 and 191, he quotes the hadith ash-Sharif, "Oh Fatima! Ask me for whatever property you wish! But I cannot rescue you from Allahu ta'ala's punishment!" and goes on:

"It is permissible to ask a human being for what he can do in the world. It is permissible to ask of only Allah to be forgiven, to go to Paradise, to be rescued from Hell and similar things solely Allah can do. Only Allah may be entreated for succor, for help or to get redeemed from trouble. Those who are far away and the dead are not asked for succor. They can neither hear nor answer. They cannot do anything. Hadrat Husain and his father enjoy the blessings in their graves, but those who are known as gods, such as polytheist Ahmad at-Tijani, Ibn al-'Arabi and Ibn al-Farid are in torture. They do not hear anything. The prophets are not to be asked for succor, either. Al-Busayri and Bari in their qasidas commended Rasulullah to excess, thus they became disbeliever, polytheists."

In many places of his book, for example on page 323, he says:

"It is polytheism to believe that the prayers of the dead or of absentees will help and ward off harm, or that they will intercede for those who pray for them. Allah sent His Prophet to annihilate such polytheism and to fight against such polytheists."

The Wahhabite book contradicts itself. On page 201, it writes:

"Allah creates sensitivity and marifa in heavens. They fear Allah. Every minute particle is in the remembrance of Allah and fears Him."

In contradiction to this statement, he claims that the prophets and awliya' do not feel or hear anything in their graves.

Ayyub Sabri Pasha (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), who died in 1308/1890, wrote in his book Mirat al-Madina:

"Scholars of Islam have always asked Allahu ta'ala for favor and mercy through the intercession of Rasulullah ('alaihi 's-salam). The father of mankind, Adam ('alaihi 's-salam), when he was brought down onto the earth, said, 'Oh my Rabb! Forgive me for the love of Muhammad ('alaihi 's-salam)!' Allahu ta'ala accepted his prayer and asked, 'How do you know My Beloved Prophet Muhammad ('alaihi 's-salam)? I have not created him yet!' He answered, 'When You created me, as soon as I lifted up my head I saw La ilaha illa 'llah Muhammadun Rasulullah written on the edges of the Divine 'Arsh; so I understood that Muhammad ('alaihi 's-salam) was the most superior of creatures. You wouldn't have written his name side by side with Yours if you had not loved him more than all.' And Allahu ta'ala said, 'Oh Adam! You have told the truth! I love Muhammad ('alaihi 's-salam) very much. I have not created anyone else more beloved than he. If I had not willed creating him, I wouldn't have created you. As you have asked forgiveness for his sake, I have accepted your prayer and forgiven you.'

"A man blind in both eyes asked Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) to pray so that his eyes could see. Rasulullah said, 'I will pray if you wish, but it will be better if you have patience and endure it.' 'I have no power left to endure. I beg you to pray,' the blind Muslim replied. 'Then, perform an ablution and say the prayer...' the Prophet ordered him. [The prayer is written in the Arabic books ad-durar as-saniyya and Al-fajr as-sadiq, in Maraq al-falah and its at-Tahtawi commentary and at the end of the subject on 'salat hajat' in Ni'met-i Islam, the Turkish version of the latter two.] Al-Imam an-Nasai (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), a hadith alim, reported that, when the blind man prayed, Allahu ta'ala accepted his prayer and he recovered. Imam Hasan, too, confirmed this event. There is no reason left for the Wahhabis not to believe it. 'Uthman ibn Hanif, who narrated this event, said, 'When 'Uthman ibn 'Affan (radi-Allahu ta'ala 'anhuma) was the Khalifa, someone who was in great trouble told me about his personal griefs and that he was ashamed of going to the Khalifa. I told him to perform an ablution and to go to Masjid as-Saada and say the prayer which restored the blind Muslim's sight. That poor man, after saying the prayer, went to the Khalifa. He was received. The Khalifa had him sit on his prayer-rug and listened to him, his trouble, and accepted his request.' That poor man, seeing his problems solved at once, came to 'Uthman ibn Hanif and cheerfully said, 'May Allahu ta'ala bless you! I wouldn't have been able to get rid of these troubles if you hadn't had a word with the Khalifa.' But 'Uthman ibn Hanif said, 'I did not even see the Khalifa. It was because of the prayer which I taught you that your problems were soon solved. I heard that prayer when Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) taught it to a blind Muslim, who, I swear by Allah, gained his sight before he walked away from Rasulullah.'

"Once there was famine during the caliphate of 'Umar (radi-Allahu ta'ala 'anh). Hadrat Bilal ibn Hars (radi-Allahu ta'ala 'anh), a Sahabi, went to Rasulullah's (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) tomb and said, 'O Rasul-Allah! your umma is starving to death. I beg you to intercede for [us that it shall] rain.' That night, he dreamed of Rasulullah, saying, 'See the Khalifa! Give my salam to him! He shall go out to pray for rain!' Hadrat 'Umar went out to pray for rain, and it started raining and fruitfulness settled everywhere.

"Allahu ta'ala accepts prayers for the sake of His beloved servants. Allahu ta'ala declared that He loved Muhammad ('alaihi 's-salam). Therefore, if anyone prays saying, 'Allahumma inni asaluka bijah-i Nabiyyika 'l-Mustafa,' his prayer will not be refused. But it is against adab to make an intercessor of Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) for unimportant, mundane affairs.

"Burhan ad-din Ibrahim al-Maliki (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), who passed away in 799 A.H. (1397), told about a very poor man who went to the Hujrat as-Saada and said, 'Oh Rasul-Allah! I am hungry.' After a while, someone came and took him to his house and served him food. When the poor man said that his prayer had been accepted, the host said, 'My Brother! You left your family at home and had a long, strenuous journey to visit Rasulullah; is it appropriate to enter Rasulullah's audience for a morsel of food? You should have asked for Paradise and endless favors in that high, noble audience. Allahu ta'ala does not refuse requests there.' Those who attain the honor of visiting Rasulullah should pray for him to intercede for them on the Day of Judgement.

"Once Imam Abu Bakr al-Mukri, al-Imam at-Tabarani [Abu'l Qasim Sulaiman at-Tabarani was an imam of hadith. He was born in Tabariyya in 260 and passed away in Isfahan in 360 A.H. (971).] and Abu Shaikh (rahimahum-Allahu ta'ala) spent a few days in hunger in Masjid as-Saada. At last, after the night prayer, Imam Abu Bakr, being unable to endure any more, said, 'I am hungry, Oh Rasul-Allah!' and retired into a corner. His two friends were reading a book. A noble person, who was a sayyid, came with his two servants and said, 'My Brethren! You have asked my grandfather, Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) to help you find food. He ordered me [in my dream] to bring you food when I dozed off for a while.' They all ate the food together and the sayyid went back leaving the remaining food with the three.

"Once Abu 'l-'Abbas ibn Nafis (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), who was blind, had been hungry for three days. Her went to the Hujrat as-Saada and said, 'Oh Rasul-Allah! I am hungry!' and began waiting at a corner. After a while, someone came and took him to his house. He served him food and said, 'Oh Abul-'Abbas! I dreamt of our master Rasulullah. He ordered me to give you food. Come to us whenever you are hungry!'

"Imam Muhammad Musa ibn Numan al-Marrakushee al-Maliki (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), an Islamic scholar (d. 683/1284), listed those who had attained their wishes by making Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) their intercessor in his book Misbah az-zulam fi'l-mustaghisin bi-khayri 'l-anam. One of them, Muhammad ibn Munkadir, said that a man, before going out for jihad, had deposited eighty gold coins with his father for safe-keeping and said, 'Keep them for me! You may lend them to the needy.' Muhammad's father had lent them to those who suffered from famine. When the man came back and wanted his money back, his father told him to come the next night and supplicated at the Hujrat as-Saada till morning. 'My father said that a man came who told him to open his hands and gave him a packet of gold coins. He counted them at home and saw that they were eighty gold coins. Delighted, he returned them to the owner.'

"Ibn Jalah (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), when he became poor in Medina, went to the Hujrat as-Saada and said, 'Oh Rasul-Allah! I came to you as a guest today. I am very hungry.' Then he went aside and slept. Rasulullah appeared in his dream and gave him a big loaf of bread. Later he said, 'Because I was very hungry, I started eating at once. After I ate half of the loaf I woke up. I saw the remaining half in my hands.'

"Abu 'l-Khair 'Aqta' (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), after five days of hunger in Medina, came to the Hujrat as-Saada and greeted Rasulullah. He said he was hungry and soon fell asleep at a side. In his dream he saw Rasulullah coming, Abu Bakr as-Siddiq on his right, 'Umar Faruq on his left and 'Ali al-Murtada (radi-Allahu ta'ala 'anhum ajma'in) walking in front of him. Hadrat 'Ali came and said, 'O Aba 'l-Khair! Stand up! Why are you lying down? Rasulullah is coming! He immediately stoop up. Rasulullah came and gave him a big loaf of bread. Later Abu 'l-Khair said, 'I began eating as soon as I took the loaf -I was very hungry. I woke up when, I had eaten half of the loaf, and I found the other half in my hands.'

"Abu 'Abdullah Muhammad ibn Bar'a (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala) said that his father, Abu 'Abdullah ibn Hafif (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), who died in 371/981, and he ran out of money in Mecca. They went to Medina. Being yet a child, he wept, crying that he was hungry. His father could not stand any more and went to the Hujrat as-Saada and said, 'Oh Rasul-Allah! We are your guests tonight.' Opening his eyes, 'Rasulullah put money in my hand,' he said. Abu 'Abdullah said, 'I saw the money when he opened his hand. We spent some and also gave alms. Then we safely returned to our home in Shiraz.'

"Abu 'l-'Abbas Ahmad ibn Muhammad Wa'iz al-AndAlusi al-Sufi (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), who passed away in Egypt in 684/1284, said, 'While in the Hijaz deserts, I had no possessions left. I reached Medina. I gave salam to Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) by the Hujrat as-Saada. Then I sat somewhere and slept. Rasulullah appeared. "Have you come, Ahmad? Open your hands!" He ordered. He filled my hands with gold. I woke up. My hands were full of gold coins.'

"If, somehow, what the lovers of Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) say out of their pure heart seems unsuitable with modesty or respectfulness, one should not say anything against them but be silent. It is of modesty and respectfulness to be silent in such cases. One of the lovers used to call the adhan near the Qabr as-Saada and say that salat was better than sleep. One of the servants at Masjid an-Nabi said, 'You behave immodestly in Rasulullah's (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) presence,' and beat him. Thereupon the other man said, 'Oh Rasul-Allah! Isn't it immodesty to beat and to swear at a man in your audience?' After a while, it was seen that the one who beat him became paralyzed, lost his ability to move his hands and feet and died three days later. Hafiz Abul-Qasim 'Ali ibn 'Asakir (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), who passed away in Damascus in 571 A.H. (1176), reported this event in his book and added that Thabit ibn Ahmad al-Baghdadi (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), too, was an eye-witness.

"Ibn an-Numan narrated in his book Ibn as-Said that (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala) and his friends, having spent all their money in Medina, visited the Hujrat as-Saada, and, at the end of the visit, Hadrat Ibn as-Said said, 'Oh Rasul-Allah! We have no money left, nor have we food!' and walked backwards. At the exit of the Masjid, he met someone who took them to his house and gave them plenty of dates and money.

"Sharif Abu Muhammad 'Abd as-Salam al-Fasi (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), at the end of his three-day stay in Medina, performed two rak'as of salat at the back of the Minbar [of Masjid an-Nabi] and entreated, 'Oh my High Ancestor! I have become so hungry that I cannot stand!' After a little while, someone came carrying a tray of cooked meat, butter and bread. Although he thankfully said that one of them was enough, the person responded, 'Please eat all three! I brought them because Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) ordered so. After I had prepared food for my children, I dreamt of Rasulullah who ordered, "Take some to your Brother-in-Islam at the Masjid; let him eat." '

"Sharif Muhassir al-Qasimi (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala) once fell asleep in front of the Tahajjud Mihrab on the Damascene [north] side of the Hujrat as-Saada. Then he suddenly stood up and came to the front of the Hujrat as-Saada. He walked back smiling. Shams ad-din Thawab, director of the servants at Masjid an-Nabi, who was by the Mihrab, asked why he had smiled. He said he had had no food in his house for a few days and had come here after saying, 'Oh Rasul-Allah! I've been hungry,' by Hadrat Fatima's tomb. He went on, 'I fell asleep here and in my dream saw my High Ancestor give me a bowl of milk. I drank it and woke up, the bowl still in my hands. I approached the Hujrat at-Tahira to give thanks. I smiled because of the delight and flavor I felt. Here is the bowl!' This event is written in detail in the book Misbah az-zulam.

" 'Ali ibn Ibrahim al-Busree reported 'Abd as-Salam ibn Abi Qasim as-Sahabi (radi-Allahu ta'ala 'anh) as saying in front of the Hujrat as-Saada, 'Oh Rasul-Allah! I come from Egypt. I have been your- guest for five months. I have been starving for days. I want food from Allahu ta'ala.' Then he went aside and sat down. Someone, after greeting in front of the Hujrat as-Saada, took 'Abd as-Salam by the hand and offered him food in his tent. He ate some. Whenever he was in Medina, this man took him to his tent and offered him food.

"Once Imam Nur ad-din 'Ali ibn Ahmad as-Samhudi (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), who wrote the books Al-Wafa' and Khulasat al-Wafa' about al-Madinat al-munawwara and died in 911/1505, lost his key. At last he went to the Hujrat as-Saada and said, 'Oh Rasul-Allah! I lost my key, I can't go home!' A boy brought the key. It is written in Tareekh al-Madina by him that the boy said, 'I found this key. Is it yours?'

"Shaikh Salih 'Abd al-Qadir (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala) said, 'I had been hungry for some days in Medina. After visiting the Hujrat as-Saada, I went so far as to ask Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) for bread, meat and dates. Then I performed two rak'as of salat at the Rawdat al-Mutahhara and sat nearby. After a little while, a gentleman came and took me to his house. He offered me roasted meat, bread and dates. He said he was having qailula, a sunnat of resting for a while in the afternoon, during which he dreamt of our master Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) who described and introduced me to him and told him to give me food.'

"Sayyid Ahmad al-Madani Effendi, a descendant of Sulaiman al-Jazuli (rahimahum-Allahu ta'ala), author of the book Dala'il al-khairat, was alive when this book Mirat al-Madina was written in 1301 A.H. He said that his father was so poor that he could not buy what his son wanted -apples, pears, dates. So, he would advice his son -to amuse him- to go and ask Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam). Therefore, he used to go to the door of the Hujrat as-Saada and ask for whatever he wished, and what he wished would be handed from inside through the Shabakat as-Saada, and he would take and eat it.

"Mustafa 'Ishqi Effendi (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala) of Kilis wrote in his history book Mawarid-i Majidiyya: 'I stayed in Mecca for twenty years. I, my wife and children, after saving sixty gold coins, emigrated to Medina in 1247 A.H. (1831). We spent all the money during the journey. We went to a friend as guests. I visited the Hujrat as-Saada and asked Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) for help. Three days later a gentleman came to the house where we were staying and said that he had rented a house for us. He payed the rent for the year. After a few months, I fell ill and stayed in bed for a month. There was nothing left to eat or sell in the house. I climbed up the stairs to the roof with my wife's help with the view of telling my trouble by turning towards Rasulullah's (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) tomb and asking for help. But when I raised my hands to pray, I felt ashamed to ask for something worldly. I couldn't say anything. I descended down to my room. The next day, someone came and said that so and so effendi sent some gold coins to me as a gift. I took the purse. Our trouble ended but my illness went on. Assisted, I went to the Hujrat as-Saada and asked Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) for relief. I got out of the Masjid and walked home without anybody's help. My illness was completely over when I entered the house. I went out with a walking stick for a few days for protection against evil eyes. soon, the money was all spent. Leaving my wife and children in the dark, I performed the night prayer in Masjid an-Nabawi and then told Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) about my trouble. On the way back home someone I did not know approached and gave me a purse. I saw there were forty-nine gold coins each worth nine piasters. I bought candles and other needs and returned home.'

"Mustafa 'Ishqi Effendi further wrote that, when his son Muhammad Salih was yet in his swaddling-clothes, his wife became ill and was not able to suckle the child any more. Distressed, he took the baby to the Hujrat as-Saada and put it at the foot of the curtain. 'Allahumma inni asaluka wa atawajjuhu ilaika Nabiyyina wa sayyidina Muhammadin (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) Nabiyyirrahma, ya sayyidina ya Muhammad! Inni atawajjahu ila Rabbika arsil murdi'ata li-hadhal mathum,' he prayed. Early the following morning an officer named Sharif came and said, 'Sir, my three-month old daughter died. We cannot stop its mother's milk. I would like to know if anyone needs a wet-nurse.' He showed him the baby. 'We will nurse it for Allahu ta'ala's sake if you give it to us. We will bring it up well. My wife will be very glad,' the officer said and took the baby with him.

"Again 'Ishqi Effendi went on, 'I had a hard time and was short of money in 1257. I though of going to Istanbul. I sat in a corner at the Rawdat al-Mutahhara on the Ragha'ib night (the night before the first Friday in the month of Rajab). I attached my heart to the Hujrat as-Saada to ask Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) for permission. I fell asleep. In my dream, I heard three times a voice say, "Go to Istanbul and be the guest of Mustafa Pasha!" I woke up and returned home. I bade farewell to my wife and children and set out. I walked all the way to Alexandria where I had no money to pay for ship fare. I was very depressed. I remembered the hadith ash-Sharif, "Ask those who are in graves for help when you are confused or in trouble!" I visited the tomb of Imam Muhammad al-Buseeree (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), writer of Qasidat al-burda (d. in 695/1295). I asked for Allahu ta'ala's help, making the blessed soul of this person, who was one of Allahu ta'ala's beloved servants, my mediator. When I went out, I met a man named Ahmad Beg from Serez who said he had been looking for me. He said, "My master Ottoman statesman Said Muhibb Effendi (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), having heard that you are here, wishes to have the honor of seeing you, so he will be very pleased if you will be so kind as to come." We went to the mansion where Muhibb Effendi welcomed me with grace and respect. "We may go to Istanbul together by ship if you would like," he said. The next day, three purses of money came from Muhammad 'Ali Pasha (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), the Governor of Egypt. We went to Istanbul by ship. We were kept in quarantine on board for twenty-one days. As soon as I got off the ship on Friday, I went directly to Ayyub Sultan, where I visited Hadrat Khalid ibn Zaid (radi-Allahu ta'ala 'anh) and said from the heart that I was a lonely poor guest of him begging for help. After performing the Friday prayer in the Ayyub Mosque, I entered the tomb among the jamaat and sat down at one side. A man whom I did not know asked me to order him where he should take me. Someone behind hit me with his fist softly on the back and said, "To the place where you were ordered to go." ' They spoke as they walked:

" 'Who was the one who hit me?' 'Ishqi Effendi asked.

" 'His name is Mahmud. People of Ayyub call him Majdhub (one crazy with love of Allahu ta'ala),' answered the man.

" 'Where are we going now?'

" 'Your humble servant, myself, is an attendant of Mustafa Nuri Pasha (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), Minister of War and former Chief Secretary of the Imperial Office. He ordered me to find you.'

" 'We are not acquainted with Mustafa Pasha, I wonder why he ordered so?'

" 'I don't know. Mentioning your name with respect, he told me that he would be waiting for you,' the attendant said.

" 'Neither you knew me nor is there anyone at Ayyub who knows me; I hope you aren't mistaken?'

" 'No sir. His Excellency [the Pasha] told me that I would find such and such a blessed person at Ayyub after the Friday prayer today and that I should take that person respectfully and modestly to him. He described your features,' he said.

" 'When I heard these words, I thought Mustafa Pasha must have received a divine command. He welcomed me with great kindness, respect and modesty. He said that I was his guest and could stay there as long as I wanted and that I could go visiting the places I wished and come again. He put a few servants under my order. The next day was the visiting day of the Shaikh 'Abd al-Qadir Mawlawi Tekke. I went there and sat inside. Someone came and politely and modestly asked what my name was, when I came to Istanbul and whose guest I was. He listened to my answer and moved away. I told about his inquiry to Mustafa Pasha when I returned. Then the Pasha said, "Our Great Sultan (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala) honored there today. His Great Person loves and respects the Muslims who live in al-Makkat al-Mukarrama and al-Madinat al-Munawwara. I guess our Sultan Effendi sent that man to you." I asked, "Can I have the honor of seeing our Sultan's blessed face?" and the Pasha said, "Yes, you may attain that honor if you go to the mosque where the Sultan performs the Friday prayer." He sent me to the Friday procession. The procession ceremony was at the Beylerbeyi Mosque. I stood aside waiting to see the blessed face of the Sultan, who stopped his rearing horse when his truth-seeing blessed eyes caught the sight of this humble servant who loved him. He sent the Sar-'Askar Pasha (Commander-in-Chief) to me. Sar-'Askar Pasha came to me and said, " 'Ishqi Effendi! Our Sultan sends his salams to you! His Great Person ordered that a salary of three hundred kurushes be paid to you. He said you should not worry about your wife and children and that you should visit and see everyplace in Istanbul."

" 'I understood that this imperial edict of our Sultan 'Abd al-Majid Khan (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala) was one of his many kashfs and karams I had often heard of. I was relieved from worring about my family. A few months later I returned to al-Madinat al-munawwara, and found my family in comfort and contentment. I learned that it was because Hadrat Sultan 'Abd al-Majid Khan (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala) had sent three thousand kurushes to my family on my behalf. His Great Person made us all happy by sending an additional seven thousand kurushes after my arrival. Like all Muslims we prayed for the Exalted Sultan in gratitude after every salat. On every occasion, I recited my eulogy in praise of him in order to attain the honor of expressing Hadrat 'Abd-al-Majid Khan's gifts and karamats.'

"The tekke where 'Ishqi Effendi went was the Mawlawi-khana tekke at Besiktas, Istanbul. Later, it was moved to the tekke on the Behariyya Street, Ayyub. In those days the shaikh of the tekke was 'Abd al-Qadir Dede.

" 'Ishqi Effendi must have been a great person, for, whatever he wished for by the Hujrat as-Saada was accepted. While he was in Medina, Tawfiq Beg (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), an official at the Board of Admiralty, suffered a sore in his eyes. He visited the Hujrat as-Saada and prayed for his eyes' recovery or for being able to go to Istanbul. 'Ishqi Effendi came to him just after he returned to where he stayed and silently recited a prayer and breathed on him and soon the ache stopped.

"A man from Istanbul stayed in Medina for seven years, where he read the book Dala'il al-khairat at the place called the Rawdat al-Mutahhara every day. Whenever he started reading the Dala'il he would notice by him an old man neatly dressed, sweet-smelling, with beard and mustache cut as prescribed by the Sunnat. When he was about to start back to Istanbul, he said in a prayer in front of the Hujrat as-Saada, 'Oh Rasul-Allah! You know that I have been reading the Dala'il from beginning to end at this holy place every day. I do not know if it was accepted. Was I not able to observe the reverence necessary while reading this blessed book?' He sat aside and soon fell asleep. He dreamt of our master Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) holding out a bowl of milk through the window of the Muwajahat as-Saada. He took and drank it. When he woke he found that sweet-smelling old man, who said, 'May it do you good, my brother,' and went away.

"Many books have been written telling and exemplifying that the prayers in which Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) was held as a mediator were accepted. Many wonderful events were written in Bayan-i intisar by Abu Sulaiman Dawud ash-Shadhili al-Iskandari (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), who was Maliki and who passed away in 732 A.H. (1332).

"Ibn Muhammad al-Ashbili said, 'During my stay in Granada, Spain, my host, an old friend of mine, became ill. His life was despaired of. Ibn al-Hisal (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), who was the vizier at that time, visited him. He wrote a letter, asking Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) for help for my host's recovery, to be delivered to the Hujrat as-Saada. My host recovered a few days later.'

"It is written in the second volume of the translation of the book Shaqayiq-i Numaniyya that when the great Islamic scholar Mawlana Shamsaddin Muhammad Hamza al-Fanaree (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), the first Shaikh al-Islam of the Ottoman Empire and mujaddid of his time, became blind from cataracts, he one night dreamt of our master Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam), who commanded him, 'Explain (make a tafsir of) the Sura Taha!' He replied, 'I do not have the power to explain al-Qur'an al-karim in your audience. Besides, my eyes cannot see.' Then our master Rasulullah, who was the physician of prophets, pulled out a piece of cotton from his blessed khirka and, after wetting it with his blessed saliva, put it on Molla al-Fanaree's eyes, who woke up and found the piece of cotton on his eyes, and when he took it away he began to see. He praised and thanked Allahu ta'ala. He kept the piece of cotton and willed that it should be put on his eyes after his death. His testament was fulfilled when he died in Bursa in 834 A.H. (1431).

"For those prayers which were said to Allahu ta'ala and in which our master Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) was made an intercessor were accepted, Hadrat 'Umar (radi-Allahu ta'ala 'anh), the Khalifa of Muslims, when there was famine in Medina, went out for the rain-prayer and, making an intercessor of 'Abbas ibn 'Abd al-Muttalib (radi-Allahu ta'ala 'anh), said, 'Oh my Rabb! We pray to Thee through Thy Beloved Prophet! We ask Thee for rain for the love of Your Messenger's respected uncle! Accept our prayer!'

"Muslims suffered from famine once again during Hadrat 'Umar's (radi-Allahu ta'ala 'anh) caliphate. Hadrat Qa'b al-Akhbar (radi-Allahu ta'ala 'anh) said, 'Ya Amir al-Muminin [Oh the Head of the Faithful]! At the time of the sons of Israil, when there was famine, the prophets were made intercessors in prayers.' Thereupon, Hadrat 'Umar ascended Rasulullah's (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) minbar and said, 'Oh my Rabb! Through the intercession of Thy Prophet's uncle we beg Thee and for his honor we ask absolute forgiveness and benevolence from Thee!' Then to the jamaat he said, 'Pray to your Rabb! He is the One who answers prayers!' Hadrat 'Abbas (radi-Allahu ta'ala 'anh) said a long prayer upon this order of the Khalifa. Before his prayer ended, the streets of Medina were flooded with an abundance of rain-water. On that day Hadrat 'Abbas was given the title 'Saqi al-Haramain' (Water-distributor of Mecca and Medina). Then, Rasulullah's poet Hassan ibn Thabit (radi-Allahu ta'ala 'anh) recited a poem in praise of Hadrat 'Abbas.

"Hadrat Imam Malik (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala), while conversing with Abu Jafar Mansur, the 'Abbasid Caliph, told him in Masjid an-Nabawi, 'Oh Mansur! We are in the Masjid as-Saada! Talk softly! Allahu ta'ala reprimanded some people in his declaration in Surat al-Hujurat, "Make not thy voice higher than My Messenger's!" And in the ayat al-karima, "Those who talk in a soft voice in the Prophet's presence..." He praised those who talk softly. Respecting Rasulullah after his death is like respecting him when he was alive.' Mansur, bowing his neck, said, 'Oh Aba 'Abd-Allah! Shall I face the qibla or the Qabr as-Saada?' Hadrat Imam Malik said, 'Do not turn your face away from Rasulullah! That exalted Prophet (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam), the intercessor on the Day of Judgement, will intercede for you and for your father Adam's ('alaihi's-salam) salvation on the Day of Judgement. You should ask for his intercession facing the Qabr as-Saada and attach yourself to Rasulullah's blessed soul. The 64th ayat of the Surat an-Nisa declared, "If they, after tyrannizing over their nafses, come to you and beg Allahu ta'ala's pardon, and if My Messenger prays for their forgiveness, they will certainly find Allahu ta'ala as the acceptor of tawba and merciful." This ayat premisses that the tawba of those who make an intercessor of Rasulullah will be accepted.' Thereupon, Mansur stood up and in front of the Hujrat as-Saada, 'Oh my Rabb!' he said, 'Thou promised that Thou wilt accept the tawba of those who make Thy Messenger an intercessor! And I supplicate Thee for forgiveness in Thine Exalted Prophet's high presence. Forgive me, too, as Thine servants whom Thou hast forgiven when they asked for forgiveness when he [the Prophet] was alive! Oh my Rabb! I beg Thee through Thine Exalted Prophet's intercession who is the Nabi ar-Rahma (Prophet of Blessings). Oh Muhammad, the Highest of Prophets! I begged my Rabb through thine intercession. Oh Rabb! Make that Exalted Prophet an intercessor for me!' While he prayed he stood in front of and faced the window of the Muwajahat as-Saada, the qibla being behind and the Minbar an-Nabawi on his left.

"NOTE: The advice given to the Khalifa Mansur by Hadrat Imam Malik (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala) shows that those who pray in front of the Hujrat as-Saada should be very vigilant; it is not right for those who can not show the modesty and respect appropriate for that place to stay long in al-Madinat al-Munawwara. Hadrat al-Imam al-azam Abu Hanifa (rahimah-Allahu ta'ala) said, 'It is better we be in Baghdad and our heart be here [in Medina] than we be here but our heart in Baghdad.'

"An Anatolian villager who had stayed and gotten married in al-Madinat al-munawwara and had been doing a certain service at the Hujrat as-Saada for years, one day caught a feverish illness and longed for an ayran (a cool drink made of yogurt and water). 'I would have an ayran made from yogurt and drink it if I were in my village,' he thought to himself. That night, Rasulullah (sall-Allahu ta'ala 'alaihi wa sallam) appeared in the Shaikh al-Haram Effendi's dream and ordered him to entrust that certain service done by the Anatolian villager to someone else. When he answered, 'Oh Rasul-Allah! So and so of your umma is in that service,' the Prophet ordered. 'Tell that person to go to his village and drink ayran!' in reply. The villager said, 'With pleasure!' and set out for his country when his order was communicated to him the next day.

"Hence, it should be realized that if a mere thought would cause such a loss, what great a loss will happen -may Allah forbid- because of an unsuitable word or an action unconformable to adab, even if it is a joke.

"Those who visit the Hujrat-Saada should be very alert and not have worldly thoughts in their hearts. They should think of Muhammad's ('alaihi 's-salam) nur and high status. Prayers of those who think of worldly affairs, of in gratiating themselves with people of high rank or of trade will not be accepted; they will not get their wishes.

"Visiting the Hujrat as-Saada is a very honorable 'ibada. It is feared that those who do not believe this may go out of Islam. As a matter of fact, they will have opposed Allahu ta'ala and His Rasul and all Muslims. Although a few Maliki scholars said that visiting Rasulullah was wajib, it was unanimously said to be mustahab."









HizmetBooks © 1998
See our Important Disclaimers and Legal Information